Wednesday, September 28, 2005

What We're Missing When The CBC Is Missing

FREDERICTON – This morning I had an email from Doug Greer, a colleague in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, and I wanted to post it on this blogsite immediately.

It is to weep. All I can say is that this is why we have to get back to work:

"Dear Shelagh...The town (of Stephenville, Newfoundland) had (this week) the worst flooding in living memory. And, of course, CBC was not there to cover the story.

"Neither have we been there since Abitibi (Consolidated) announced last week that it will definitely be closing its paper mill in the town. It's a reminder of why it's important that we get back to work but that we've paid such a high price to our reputation that we've earned the right to go back under our conditions. Regards, Doug"

- Shelagh

Links Connected To This Blog:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Brian M. Carroll said...

When the CBC isn't there, the rest of the electronic media don't show up either.

In Ottawa, there's an active debate about the future of the city: transit or roads? One focus of this debate has been a proposed road through the Alta Vista corridor. No electronic reporters showed up for a critical Transportation Committee vote. Only one reporter (from the Ottawa Sun) reported in any depth:

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Columnists/Sherring_Susan/2005/09/24/1233066.html

I want my CBC back.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Miss Vicky said...

I really felt the gaping hole during Jennifer Teague's disappearance (and the eventual discovery of her body). I really missed the thoughtful, comprehensive and balanced coverage my CBC provides, even in the most disturbing of times. Instead we were treated to rants and hysteria from the corporate media outlets in Ottawa. I lamented the absence on my blog. It's just so damned quiet here now.

Except on Sparks St, of course! Keep up the fight!

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home