Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Here's Our Plan

VANCOUVER – Take a mini-van, include a well-known locked out CBC Radio host, add in a couple of stray radio producers and aim east.

That’s the formula that Shelagh Rogers and friends are using for their new project, The Caravan Unlocked.

The Caravan Unlocked will see Shelagh and her two colleagues moving west to east, visiting as many Candian Media Guild (CMG) picket lines as they can, starting with the one at CBC Victoria.

The CMG is underwriting the cost of the project.

Shelagh and Co. vow to keep on driving east – and keep on picketing with their colleagues – until they reach CBC St. John’s in Newfoundland and Labrador, or until CBC management unlocks the doors…whichever comes first.

Along the road, Shelagh will constantly update this blogsite. So, please bookmark it now.

In addition to regular written dispatches from Shelagh, check this site daily for photos of the tour and for regular podcasts.

Shealgh’s and her colleagues also hope to make the podcasts available soon on iTunes.ca.

“I was planning to be part of an exciting start to September on CBC Radio One beginning with an Alberta Centennial special from Edmonton, followed by a radio season launch in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, and then capping it off with a cross country tour going east to west," said Rogers.

“Due to circumstances beyond my control, however, I instead find myself in a very different role and traveling west to east. Who would have believed it?”

The mission of The Caravan Unlocked is to meet with her listeners and to reach out to the communities who are sorely missing the CBC, as well as connecting with colleagues on picket lines across the nation.

“This whole trip, really, is about optimism and the hope for a new and better CBC after this is all over. In my heart of hearts, though, what I really hope for is that this trip doesn’t last very long.”

7 Comments:

Blogger artOfficials said...

Hi Shelagh!

I'm just back from a bit of traveling that I'd planned pre-strike and I'm excited about seeing and hearing the efforts of everyone during the lock-out. Now that you're out and about the word should spread.
Give the people what they want ...

If I can help you on your way don't hesitate to contact me ... and of course here's hoping that it is a short trip on this occasion!

Keep 'er between the ditches!

Don P.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Kenn Chaplin (mail: kenngc at sympatico dot ca) said...

You GO girl!

6:51 PM  
Blogger bigsnit said...

hey ! do you get the same per diem from CMG as you do from CBC ? Remember - when you get off the ferry , just take the number 1 highway and, um, er...just keep going .

(remember to shoulder check at Winnipeg ...)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm with you Shelagh and company. If you hit Nelson BC along the way - the coffee's on me (at Oso Negro, best coffee for a picket line or any other occasion).

Now you have put me into inner conflict - I'd like this damn lockout to end, but it's going to be fun watching this blog...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Back again - I'm intrigued to find the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum link. My favourite location in Boston by far.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Dear Shelagh and all aboard The Caravan Unlocked!

Safe and fun travels to you on your expedition across this great land. May you reach your destination long before the shores of Newfoundland.

peace and cheers, Adrian

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Don Dickson said...

Hi Shelagh: I'm President of the unit in Fredericton, N.B. Good luck with your caravan. We'd love to have you stop here when you get to the Maritimes. Are your agenda and venues settled yet? You can reach me at deesdee@yahoo.com. Don Dickson.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home